In the year 1992 a severe collision took place on the Baltic sea. The m/s Kościerzyna, a bulk carrier during its voyage, had been rammed by another ship with significant force. The other vessel’s bow had inflicted damage to m/s Kościerzyna’s mid section, managing to flood virtually the whole power plant. The water level got as high as the deck office. Only because of sturdy bulkheads did the vessel survive the impact and manage to call to the nearest port.
“M/S Koscierzyna” – Flooded marine power plant repair
After draining the water from the ship’s power plant and a preliminary inspection an opinion was formed – a general overhaul had to be commissioned if the vessel was to sail again. These major repairs included the repair of the control panel, monitoring system and the main and emergency switchboards. MAREL SERVICE had performed a predominant part of the repairs mentioned above.
Our company had been responsible for the general repairs of the better part of the power plant’s devices and the restoration of the DECCA ISIS monitoring system. In all the works comprised of:
- General overhaul of the La Monte hatch automation system
- General overhaul of the waste incinerator automation system
- Renovation of the sewage treatment automation system
- General overhaul of the oil separator’s automation system
- Renovation of the level signalization in the ballast system
- Renovation of the hydrophore’s automation system
- Replacement of the fuel filter’s automation system
- Renovation of the maneuver recorder
- General overhaul of the main engine’s automation system
- General overhaul of the auxiliary engine’s automation system
- General overhaul of the oil and fuel centrifuge’s automation system
- General overhaul of the compressor’s automation system
- General overhaul of the fuel exchange automation system
After the repairs on the m/s Kościerzyna had been completed it had passed all necessary attestations and most of the devices repaired by MAREL SERVICE are still working aboard the ship to this day.